- Tavershams Limited offers an online auction platform via auctions.tavershams.com and through our iOS & Android mobile & tablet Apps.
- Please go to auctions.tavershams.com or download our App to register.
All Lots purchased via Tavershams Limited will be subject to an additional charge + VAT at the rate imposed on the hammer price, as follows;
- Buyer`s Premium 15.5% (+VAT)
UK Customs and Excise Duty
- Unless otherwise stated as 'In-Bond', all Lots will have UK Duty at the current rate included in the Hammer price.
- Lots marked as [IB] are stored ‘In Bond’.
- Lots marked as [VL] are Duty Paid & liable for VAT on the Hammer Price.
Shipping and Delivery:
- Delivery is not included in the total payable to Tavershams Limited.
BUYERS MUST ENSURE THEY READ & ACCEPT, ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE, BEFORE BIDDING.
The conditions set out below are the terms on which we contract, as auctioneers, with sellers and, as agent acting on behalf of sellers, with buyers. Buyers and sellers should read the conditions carefully. Buyers’ attention is drawn in particular to clause 16 which limits our liability. For ease of reference, the conditions are divided into sections: Section A gives a background to some of the terms that are used in the Conditions generally; Section B is of particular relevance to Buyers; Section C to Sellers; and Section D to both sellers and buyers.
Section A: Background to Terms used in these Conditions
- In the conditions set out below, some terms are used regularly that need explanation.
They are as follows:
“the Buyer” means the person with the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer;
“the Lot” means any item deposited with us for sale at auction and, in particular, the item or items described against any lot number in any catalogue;
“the Hammer Price” means the amount of the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer in relation to a Lot;
”the Buyer’s premium” means the charge payable by the Buyer as a percentage of the Hammer Price, at the rates set out in clause 5(a) in Section B;
”the Reserve” means the amount below which we agree with the Seller that the Lot cannot be sold;
“Forgery” means a Lot constituting an imitation originally conceived and executed as a whole with a fraudulent intention to deceive as to authorship, origin, age, period, culture or source where the correct description as to such matters is not reflected by the description in the catalogue and which at the date of the auction had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description in the catalogue. Accordingly, no Lot shall be capable of being a Forgery by reason of any damage and/or restoration work of any kind.
"The Insured Value" means the amount that Tavershams Limited in its absolute discretion from time to time shall consider to be the value for which a Lot should be covered by insurance (whether or not insurance is arranged by us).
“In Bond” means the wine is currently held in a bonded warehouse, which have not passed through UK customs, with no Duty and VAT paid on them. In Bond wines can be bought, sold and delivered to other Bonded warehouses but not delivered to a private address until the Duty and VAT have been paid (at the prevailing rates).
“Live Auction” is where the auction takes place at a pre-defined time and bids are taken in a live online environment.
“Timed Auction” is where the auction is online only. Bids can be placed anytime within an advertised two week period at any point until the specific Lots has ended.
Section B: Buyers
- Tavershams Limited as agent
As auctioneers, we act as agent for the Seller. Unless otherwise agreed sales of goods at our auctions result in contracts made between the Seller, through our agency, with the Buyer.
- Before the Sale
(a) Examination of goods
Prospective buyers are strongly advised to view any goods in which they are interested, before the auction takes place. Condition reports are usually available on request. We provide no guarantee to the Buyer other than in relation to Forgeries, as explained in clause 1 of these Conditions of Business.
(b) Catalogue descriptions
Statements by us in the catalogue or condition report, or made orally or in writing elsewhere, regarding the authorship, origin, date, age, size, medium, attribution, genuineness, provenance, condition or estimated selling price of any Lot are merely statements of opinion, and are not to be relied on as statements of definitive fact. Catalogue illustrations are for guidance only, and should not be relied on either to determine the tone or colour of any item or to reveal imperfections. Estimates of the selling price should not be relied on as a statement that this price is either the price at which the Lot will sell or its value for any other purpose.
Many items are of an age or nature which precludes their being in perfect condition and some descriptions in the catalogue or given by way of condition report make reference to damage and/or re-conditioning. We provide this information for guidance only and the absence of such a reference does not imply that an item is free from defects nor does a reference to particular defects imply the absence of any others.
All purchases “as is” and no returns will be accepted.
Label images on the website and app are meant to be representative of the item only – they do not depict the actual lot for sale.
(c) Buyers Responsibility
Buyers are responsible for satisfying themselves concerning the condition of the goods and the matters referred to in the catalogue description. All lots are offered for sale in the condition they are in at the time of the auction (whether or not Bidders are in attendance at the auction).
(d) Importation into a buyer's destination country
The purchaser's inability to import any item into his destination country as a result of Government economic sanctions or other restrictions shall not justify cancellation or rescission of the sale or any delay in payment. Please satisfy yourself before bidding as to whether a lot is subject to such import restrictions, or any other restrictions on importation or exportation.
4.At the Sale
(a) Refusal of admission
Our sales take place online. We have full control over buyer registrations for the sale and we have the right, exercisable at our complete discretion, to refuse participation to any prospective buyer to an auction.
(b) Registration before bidding
To bid during the auction Bidders will be required to register for a digital paddle prior to the auction. We strongly encourage new bidders to pre-register with us at least 48 hours prior to the auction. Please go to auctions.tavershams.com or download our App to register or contact email@example.com to complete the pre-registration process.
Prospective buyers should be aware that we reserve the right to require buyers to undergo a credit check.
(c) Bidding as Principal
When making a bid, prospective buyers will be accepting personal liability, unless it has been agreed in writing, at the time of registration, that a bidder is acting as an agent on behalf of a third party acceptable to us.
(d) Absentee Bids
If a prospective buyer gives us instructions to bid on his behalf, by using the form provided, we shall use reasonable efforts to do so, provided these instructions are received not later than 24 hours before the sale. If we receive absentee bids on a particular Lot for identical amounts, and at auction these bids are the highest bids for the Lot, it will be sold to the person whose bid was received first. Absentee bids are undertaken subject to other commitments at the time of the sale, and the conduct of the sale may be such that we are unable to bid as requested. Since this is undertaken as a free service to prospective buyers on the terms stated, we cannot accept liability for failure to make an absentee bid. Prospective buyers should therefore always attend personally if they wish to be certain of bidding.
(e) Telephone Bids
If prospective buyers make arrangements with us not less than 24 hours before the sale, we shall use reasonable efforts to contact the bidders to enable them to participate in bidding by telephone, but in no circumstances will we be liable to either the Seller or any prospective buyer as a result of failure to do so.
(f) Currency Converter
At some auctions, a currency converter will be operated, based on the rates of exchange quoted to us by XE.com at opening on the date of the auction. Bidding will however take place in sterling. The currency converter is not always reliable, and errors may occur beyond our control either in the accuracy of the Lot number displayed on the converter, or the foreign currency equivalent of sterling bids. We shall not be liable to the Buyer for any loss suffered as a result of the Buyer following the currency converter rather than the sterling bidding.
(g) Video images
At some auctions there will be a video screen. Mistakes may occur in its operation, and we cannot be liable to the Buyer regarding either the correspondence of the image to the Lot being sold or the quality of the image as a reproduction of the original.
(h) The auctioneer’s discretion
The auctioneer has the right at his absolute discretion to refuse any bid to advance the bidding in such manner as he may decide, to withdraw or divide any Lot, to combine any two or more Lots, to withdraw any lot, and, in the case of error or dispute, to put an item up for bidding again. All aforementioned action can also be taken after the fall of the hammer.
(i) Bidding Increments
Bidding increments are provided pre-defined within the app and auction website.
Increments as Follows;
£0 > £250. Increment £10
£250 > £1,00. Increment £25
£1,000 > £5,000. Increment £50
£5000 > £10,000. Increment £250
£10,000 > And Up. Increment £500
Consignors and their agents are strictly forbidden from bidding on their own property.
All bids and lots are subject to auctioneer’s discretion.
(j) Successful bid
Subject to the auctioneer’s discretion, the striking of his hammer marks the acceptance of the highest bid and the conclusion of a contract for sale between the Seller and the Buyer.
k) Online Bidding
Tavershams Limited offers an online auction platform via auctions.tavershams.com and through our iOS & Android mobile & tablet Apps. To bid during the auction, Bidders will be required to register for a digital paddle prior to the auction. We strongly encourage new bidders to pre-register with us at least 48 hours prior to the auction.
Credit card verification will be required for account set up.
By completing the bidder registration and providing your credit card details, unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Tavershams Limited, the buyer agrees to;
- Authorise Tavershams Limited to charge the credit card given in full, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction.
- Confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit card details to Tavershams Limited.
5. After the Sale
In addition to the Hammer Price, the Buyer must pay us a ‘Buyer’s Premium’ at a rate of 15.5% (+VAT) of the Hammer Price.
(b) Value Added Tax and UK Customs Duty
Value Added Tax is always payable on any additional fees, including the Buyers Premium and Auction Fees. It may also be payable on the Hammer Price, if the Lot has been marked with a sign to that effect in the catalogue. It may be refunded on proof of export from the United Kingdom to outside of the European Union.
Unless otherwise stated, all Lots will have UK Duty at the current rate included in the Hammer price.
Lots marked as [VL] are Duty Paid & Liable for VAT on the Hammer Price.
Lots marked as [IB] are stored ‘In Bond’.
Any winning bids on ‘In Bond’ Lots will be liable to pay UK duty at the current rate + VAT to remove the lots from our bonded warehouse. We can arrange in bond storage for Lots, on request, via The Wine Tunnels Limited. Please contact Tavershams for further details on costs involved.
Buyers from Outside the EU will not be liable for UK Duty charges if exported outside of the European Union.
The Buyer must provide us with his or her name and permanent address and, if so requested, details of the bank from which payment will be made and then pay the full amount due (comprising the Hammer Price, the Buyer’s premium and any applicable value added tax) within seven days after the date of the sale. This applies even if the Buyer wishes to export the lot and an export licence is (or may be) required. The Buyer will not acquire title to the Lot until all amounts due to us have been paid to us, even in circumstances where we have released the Lot to the Buyer.
Payment may be made in the following ways: by Bank Transfer, Credit or Debit card (Visa and Mastercard are accepted). Please note credit card payments will only be accepted for one full working day following the date of the auction and at a maximum single transaction of £10,000 per invoice.
Tavershams Limited is not able to notify successful bidders by telephone.
While Invoices are sent out by email after the auction we do not accept responsibility for notifying you of the result of your bid. Buyers are requested to contact us by telephone or in person as soon as possible after the sale to obtain details of the outcome of their bids to avoid incurring unnecessary charges. Successful bidders will pay the price of the final bid plus premium plus any applicable VAT.
(d) Collection & Delivery of Purchases
Costs of delivery are not included in the total payable to Tavershams Limited.
Unless we specifically agree to the contrary, we shall retain items sold until all amounts due to us, or to any other associated company of Tavershams Limited, have been paid in full.
Delivery can be arranged on your behalf and will be invoiced separately on request for mainland UK addresses. Delivery will be invoiced at cost and with a minimum of £25 + VAT.
Tavershams accepts no responsibility for any damages or breakages as a result of a third party shipper or courier. Buyers will be sent a delivery disclaimer if you wish us to arrange delivery on your behalf.
Buyers can collect in person or arrange a courier or shipper to collect from our warehouse, we will require a minimum of 48 hours’ notice.
Invoices are sent out by email after the sale day, but we do not accept responsibility for notifying you of your bid. Bidders are requested to contact us as soon as possible after the sale to check if they were successful, and to avoid incurring charges for late payment.
(f) Handling Purchases
We shall use all reasonable efforts to take care when handling and packing a purchased Lot but remind the Buyer that after seven days or from the time of collection the Lot is entirely at the Buyer’s risk.
(g) Recommended packers and shippers
All packing and handling is at the Buyer’s risk. Tavershams Limited will not be liable for any acts or omissions of third party packers or shippers. We recommend that you contact a professional shipping company who will advise on collection and delivery and provide a quotation. If you require a quotation after the auction then you will need to provide the shipping company with the information from your Tavershams Limited invoice. All shipments should be unpacked and checked on delivery and any discrepancies notified immediately to the shipper in question.
(h) Remedies for non-payment or failure to collect purchases
If the Buyer fails to make payment within seven days, we shall be entitled to exercise one or more of the following rights or remedies:
- to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 5% above Bank of England base rate per month on the full amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than seven days after the date of the auction;
- to set off against any amounts which we or any other associated company of Tavershams Limited may owe the Buyer in any other transaction the outstanding amount remaining unpaid by the Buyer;
- to exercise a lien on any of the Buyer’s property which may be in our possession for any purpose and, following 14 days’ notice to the Buyer of the amount outstanding and remaining unpaid, arrange the sale of such property and apply the proceeds in discharge of the amount outstanding to us;
- where several amounts are owed by the Buyer to us or any other associated company of Tavershams Limited in respect of different transactions, to apply any amount paid to discharge any amount owed in respect of any particular transaction, whether or not the Buyer so directs;
- to reject at any future auction any bids made by the Buyer or on his behalf or obtain a deposit from the Buyer before accepting any bids. If the Buyer fails to make payment within thirty-four days, we shall in addition be entitled:
- to issue proceedings on behalf of the Seller against the Buyer to recover the full amount due, together with the costs of such proceedings on a full indemnity basis and with interest, charged at 5% per annum above the Bank of England rate;
- to cancel the sale of the Lot or any other item sold to the Buyer at the same or any other auction;
- to arrange a resale of the Lot, publicly or privately, and, if this results in a lower price being obtained, claim the balance from the Buyer together with any costs incurred in connection with the Buyer’s failure to make payment.
(i) Failure to collect
Where purchases are not collected within seven days after the sale, whether or not payment has been made, we shall arrange storage at the Buyer’s expense, and only release the items purchased after payment has been made in full of storage, removal, insurance and any other costs incurred, together with payment of all other amounts due to us.
(j) Export and Permits
It is the Buyer’s sole responsibility to identify, obtain, and purchase any necessary export, import, or other permit for the lot. If the Buyer requests us to apply for a licence listed below on his behalf, we shall be entitled to recover from him our disbursements and out of pocket expenses in relation to such application, together with any relevant VAT. We will not be obliged to refund any interest or other expenses incurred by the Buyer where payment is made by the Buyer despite the fact that an export licence is required. Unless otherwise agreed by us in writing, the fact that the Buyer wishes to apply for an export licence does not affect his obligation to make payment within seven days nor our right to charge interest on late payment.
Section C: The Seller
Section C: The Seller
Clauses 6 though to 14, cover Selling your wines with Taversham’s and can be found here: https://www.tavershams.com/terms-conditions/
Section D: Conditions Applicable to both Buyers and Sellers
15. Extent of Our Liability
- (a) We have an obligation to refund the Buyer in the circumstances set out in clause 16. However, neither the Seller nor we, nor any of our employees or agents, are responsible for the correctness of any statement as to the authorship, origin, date, age, attribution, genuineness or provenance of any Lot nor for any other errors of description or for any faults or defects in any Lot. Neither the Seller, ourselves, our employees or agents, give any guarantee in respect of any Lot. Any warranty of any kind whatsoever is excluded by this clause.
- (b) Without prejudice to Clause 16(a), any claim against Tavershams Limited Ltd or the Seller by a Bidder is limited to the Purchase Price with regard to that lot. Neither Tavershams Limited nor the Seller shall under any circumstances be liable for any consequential losses.
16. Refund in the Case of Forgery
- A sale will be cancelled, and the amount paid refunded to the Buyer if a Lot (other than a miscellaneous item not described in the catalogue) sold by us proves to have been a Forgery. We shall not however be obliged to refund any amounts if either (a) the catalogue description or saleroom notice at the auction date corresponded to the generally accepted opinion of scholars or experts at that time, or fairly indicated that there was a conflict of opinions, or (b) it can be demonstrated that the Lot is a Forgery only by means of either a scientific process not generally accepted for use until after publication of the catalogue or a process which at the date of the auction was unreasonably expensive or impracticable or likely to have caused damage to the Lot.Furthermore, the Buyer should note that this refund can be obtained only if the following conditions are met:(i) the Buyer must notify us in writing, within three months of the auction date, that in his view the Lot concerned is a forgery;(ii) the Buyer must then return the item to us within fourteen days, in the same condition as at the auction date; and(iii) as soon as possible following return of the Lot, the Buyer must produce evidence satisfactory to us that the Lot is a Forgery and that he is able to transfer good title to us, free from any third party claims.In no circumstances shall we be required to pay the Buyer any more than the amount paid by him for the Lot concerned and the Buyer shall have no claim for interest.
The benefit of this guarantee is not capable of being transferred, and is solely for the benefit of the person to whom the original invoice was made out by us in respect of the Lot when sold and who, since the sale, has remained the owner of the Lot without disposing of any interest in it to any third party.
We shall be entitled to rely on any scientific or other process to establish that the Lot is not a Forgery, whether or not such process was used or in use at the date of the auction.
The copyright in all images, illustrations and written material relating to a Lot is and shall remain at all times our property and shall not be used by the Buyer nor anyone else without our prior written consent. Where the vendor provides the text, photographs and illustrations for publication the vendor warrants that use is authorised by the copyright owner and indemnifies the Company against claims and costs arising from wrongful use.
Any notice given by Tavershams Limited under these Conditions is to be in writing and, if given by post, will be taken to have been received by the addressee on the second working day after posting or, if the addressee is overseas, on the fifth working day after posting.
If any part of these Conditions of Business is found by any court to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that part may be discounted and the rest of the conditions shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
20. Law and Jurisdiction
These Conditions of Business are subject to English law, which shall apply to their construction as well as to their effect. For our benefit, the Seller and the Buyer submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
21. Data Protection
In connection with the management and operation of our business and the marketing and supply of services, or as required by law, we may ask clients to provide personal information about themselves or obtain information about clients from third parties (e.g., credit information). If clients provide Tavershams Limited with information that is defined by law as “sensitive", they agree that we may use it for the above purposes. Tavershams Limited will not use or process sensitive information for any other purpose without the client’s express consent. If you would like further information, would like to make corrections to your information or would prefer not to receive details of future events, please contact us: +44(0)20 39 232323 or email us, firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to fulfil the services clients have requested, Tavershams Limited may disclose information to third parties (e.g., shippers).
These Terms & Conditions were last updated on 20th July 2020 and supersede all previous versions.